James and I have officially stepped over the edge of reason, and I am unsure yet if we packed a parachute. We agreed to let our 5 (yes FIVE) youngest children each pick out a pet! (Before the questions start rolling in; we were not on steroids or antihistamines or even under the influence of beer). Seriously.
Here’s how we arrived at the new state of chaotic normal: Ruby approached me with a proposal. Bear in mind that this girl wants to be president some day; and anyone who knows her for longer than 5 minutes can attest to the fact that she probably will be President. She is “gifted” with her mom’s silver tongue, and she loves to debate. Fiercely.
As I said, she had a proposal for James and me. She had done some preliminary math and research; and came with the request that in lieu of Birthday presents; she be allowed to use all of her birthday money to buy a pet, it’s habitat, and it’s food for the next months until Christmas.
I was utterly taken aback. I mumbled that I would have to talk to James first; and then I shook my head in disbelief. That girl has moxie! James and I discussed it over the next few days, and decided the following:
1. Yes to a lizard, hamster, or a fish IF
2. A report is prepared and research conducted to establish what is needed and how much the supplies will cost
3. All cleaning of the habitat falls solely on the pet owner, and it will be scheduled at least once or twice a week.
4. All feeding and watering of the pet is the child’s responsibilty
5. Pets will NOT sleep in bedrooms, but will have assigned places to reside
6. Some of the children’s Christmas money will also go towards food
This is the part of discussion when James and I realized that in order to be fair, we need to make the same offer to all FIVE of the youngest children…and by default; we were agreeing to take care of the animals when their owner is absent from our home.
Eh, we have a blended family of 6 kids, 2 parents, multiple allergies, and some grief….why not throw 5 animals into the mix? Besides, I shall never be lacking in blog content =)